The energy was soaring as the chefs John Besh, Alon Shaya, David Slater and Jacques Leonardi arrived through customs and were immediately swept to an evening hosted by members of the Rosh Ha'Ayin community, including the Mayor, and distinguished community guests, host families, and Shlomo Barak/Avinoam Leshem of the Leshem-Barak winery (product of Rosh Ha'ayin!). The speakers highlighted the close ties between the residents of Rosh Ha'Ayin and the Jewish community of New Orleans. The values behind this mission matches those of Israel Food Tours - focusing on food as a lens to establish ties through genuine People to People interactions.
Some highlights to look forward to in the coming week:
- Alon Shaya's Passover-friendly almond cake (served at his restaurant Domenica during Passover)
- Chef Gilad Dolev's master class on Kosher cooking and laws
- The opening of the Rosh Ha'ayin promenade (the chef's creations will be sold and the proceeds donated to charity)
- The chefs cooking at an army base for 400 soldiers alongside Israeli military cooks and other special guests
- Historical and cultural stories and learning about Israel from Alan Franco, the upcoming President of the New Orleans Jewish Federation.